The National Indian Law Library added new content to the Indian Law Bulletins on 2/8/18.
U.S. Supreme Court Bulletin
Petition for certiorari was filed in Royal v. Murphy (Tribal Jurisdiction; Indian Reservation Boundaries) on 2/6/18.
U.S. Federal Courts Bulletin
State of Texas v. Alabama Coushatta Tribe of Texas (Indian Gaming Regulatory Act – Class II Gaming)
United States v. Board of Directors of the Truckee-Carson Irrigation District (Tribal Water Rights)
Citizen Potawatomi Nation v. State of Oklahoma (Gaming – Arbitration Award)
In the Culture & Tradition section, we feature an article about the Transportation Security Administration’s commitment to improve respectful handling of Native American sacred objects.
Law Review & Bar Journal Bulletin
- The “right” right to environmental protection: What we can discern from the American and Indian constitutional experience.
- An Arctic peril: The pitfalls and potential of a fragmentary polar law.
- Tribal sovereignty and gaming: A proposal to amend the National Labor Relations Act.
- Responsible resource development: A strategic plan to consider social and cultural impacts of tribal extractive industry development.
- A dollar for your thoughts: Dollar General and the Supreme Court’s struggle with tribal civil jurisdiction.
U.S. Legislation Bulletin
The following bills were added:
- H.R.4965: To establish best practices for State, tribal, and local governments participating in the Integrated Public Alert and Warning System, and for other purposes.
- H.R.4975: To amend the Atomic Energy Act of 1954 to provide for consultation with State, tribal, and local governments, the consideration of State, tribal, and local concerns, and the approval of post-shutdown decommissioning activities reports by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission.
- H.R.4899: Access to Substance Abuse Treatment Act of 2018 (See Sec.4 A.i.)
- H.R.4967: To amend the Richard B. Russell National School Lunch Act and the Child Nutrition Act of 1966 to improve nutrition in tribal areas and for other purposes.
- S.2369: A bill to authorize aboriginal subsistence whaling pursuant to the regulations of the International Whaling Commission, and for other purposes.
- S.2375: A bill to amend title 38, United States Code, to provide outer burial receptacles for remains buried in National Parks, and for other purposes.
U.S. Regulatory Bulletin
We feature a notice of the Department of the Interior, Bureau of Indian Affairs notice of tribal consultation on the Indian trust asset management demonstration project.