The National Indian Law Library added new content to the Indian Law Bulletins on 4/5/18.
U.S. Supreme Court Bulletin
Petition was filed in Fort Peck Housing Authority, et al., v. Department of Housing and Urban Development, et al. (Jurisdiction; Grant in Aid Funds) on 3/22/18.
Read the latest Tribal Supreme Court Project update published on 4/2/18.
Law Review & Bar Journal Bulletin
- Contract waivers for tribal sovereign immunity: What every Idaho attorney needs to know.
- Matal v. Tam – A victory for The Slants, a touchdown for the Redskins, but an ambiguous journey for the First Amendment and Trademark Law.
- The transfer of public lands movement: The battle to take ‘back’ lands that were never theirs.
- Patchak v. Zinke, separation of powers, and the pitfalls of form over substance.
- Consultation with American Indian tribes: Resolving ambiguity and inconsistency in government-to-government relations.
- Competing sovereignty and laws’ domains.
- Modernizing the tribal consultation process for wireless infrastructure siting.
- Will the Stop Act stop anything? The Safeguard Tribal Objects of Patrimony Act and recovering Native American artifacts from abroad.
- Recission of a previously designated National Monument: A bad idea whose time has not come.
- Tribal water law: Cutting edge insights from practitioners in Indian Country.
- Western States Water Conference and Native American Rights Fund 15th Biennial Symposium on the Settlement of Indian Reserved Water Rights Claims.
Tribal Courts Bulletin
Mashantucket Pequot Tribal Nation v. Guertin (Employment Termination)
Johns v. Travelers (Employment – Worker’s Compensation )
Southern Ute Tribe v. Henry (Self-Incrimination; Right to Counsel)
Grandma Gebhard Co. v. Mashantucket Pequot Gaming Enterprise (Breach of Contract)
Sebastian v. Mashantucket Pequot Gaming Enterprise (Personal Injury)
Quileute Nation v. Jamie (Legislative Immunity)
Federal Courts Bulletin
Standing Rock Sioux Tribe v. U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (Oil and Gas Pipelines – Tribal Consultation )
Nguyen v. Gustafson (Divorce and Custody)
Kodiak Oil & Gas (USA) Inc. v. Burr (Jurisdiction)
Gibbs v. Rees (Tribal Sovereign Immunity)
Nipmuc Nation v. Zinke (Federal Recognition)
Burt Lake Band of Ottawa and Chippewa Indians v. Zinke (Federal Recognition)
United States v. 99,337 Pieces of Counterfeit Native American Jewelry (Indian Arts and Crafts Act; Counterfeit Jewlery)
Texas v. Ysleta Del Sur Pueblo (Gaming – Authorization)
Battle Mountain Band of Te-Moak Tribe of Western Shoshone Indians v. United States Bureau of Land Management (Mining; Traditional Cultural Property)
State Courts Bulletin
In Matter of L.D. (Indian Child Welfare Act – Application of)
In the Recognition & Enrollment section, we feature an article about recent court decisions regarding tribal recognition.
We feature several notices from the Department of the Interior relating to Hearth Act approvals for tribes.
U.S. Legislation Bulletin
The following bills and resolutions were added:
S.2599: Leech Lake Band of Ojibwe Reservation Restoration Act.
S.2628: Mashpee Wampanoag Tribe Reservation Reaffirmation Act.
S.Res.444: A resolution recognizing the heritage, culture, and contributions of American Indian, Alaska Native, and Native Hawaiian women in the United States.