The National Indian Law Library added new content to the Indian Law Bulletins on 12/6/18.
Law Review & Bar Journal Bulletin (contact us if you need help finding a copy of an article)
- Human rights and the Paris Agreement’s implementation guidelines: Opportunities to develop a rights-based approach.
- Tribal sovereign immunity and the need for congressional action.
- Indigenous rights to water & environmental protection.
- Killing the black snake: The Dakota Access Pipeline’s fate post-Sierra Club v. FERC.
- Social contract: The distributive significance of a Native nation’s patent agreement with Allergan.
- Patently absurd: Critiquing the USPTOS’s disparate treatment of tribal and state immunity in inter partes review.
Federal Courts Bulletin
- White Mountain Apache Tribe v. United States (Fiduciary Duty: Trust Funds)
- Tenorio v. High Hawk (Indian Civil Rights Act; Banishment; Sentencing)
- Fort Sill Apache Tribe v. National Indian Gaming Commission (Gaming; Federal Recognition)
- Cheykaychi v. Geisen (Indian Civil Rights Act)
- Enrolled members of the Blackfeet Tribe v. Thedus Crowe (Tribal Water Rights – Compacts)
- In Re: Volkswagen “Clean Diesel” Marketing (Trust Funds – Allocation)
- BP America INC. v. Yerington Paiute Tribe (Exhaustion of Tribal Remedies)
- Pueblo of Jemez v. United States (Native American Oral Traditional Evidence; Hearsay)
State Courts Bulletin
- In the Matter of Contested Case Hearing Re Conservation District Use Application (CDUA) for the Thirty Meter Telescope at the Mauna Kea Science Reserver, Ka’ohe Mauka, Hamakua, Hawai’i, TMK (Native Hawaiian Sacred Sites; Telescope)
- People in Interest of M.V. (Indian Child Welfare Act – Juvenile Court Jurisdiction)
- People in Interest of M.D. (Indian Child Welfare Act – Active Efforts; Indian Child Welfare Act – Placement)
- Hopi Tribe v. Arizona Snowbowl Resort Limited Partnership (Sacred Sites; Wastewater; Snowmaking)
Tribal Courts Bulletin
Gallaher v. Colville Confederated Tribes
In the Health & Welfare section, we feature two articles on a case challenging the Indian Child Welfare Act.
We feature a notice of proposed finding against federal acknowledgement of the Southern Sierra Miwuk Nation by the Bureau of Indian Affairs.
U.S. Legislation Bulletin
The following were added:
- H.Res.1159: Commemorating the 40th anniversary of the Indian Child Welfare Act of 1978.
- H.Res.1163: Recognizing National Native American Heritage Month and celebrating the heritages and cultures of Native Americans and the contributions of Native Americans to the United States.