The National Indian Law Library added new content to the Indian Law Bulletins on 12/20/18.
U.S. Supreme Court Bulletin
Read the latest Tribal Supreme Court Project update published on 12/12/18.
Law Review & Bar Journal Bulletin (contact us if you need help finding a copy of an article)
Human rights, Indigenous peoples, and the global climate crisis.
Federal Courts Bulletin
Comanche Nation of Oklahoma v. Zinke (Land into Trust)
Alexander v. Nolan (Arrest – Reasonable Force)
Cayuga Indian Nation of New York v. Seneca County, New York (Ad Valorem Property Taxes)
State Courts Bulletin
Interest of A.M. (Indian Child Welfare Act – Termination of Parental Rights)
Matter of Guardianship I.L.J.E. (Indian Child Welfare Act – Guardianship)
Tribal Courts Bulletin
Gallaher v. Colville Confederated Tribes (Right to Counsel)
In the Health & Welfare section, we feature an article about the Indigenous Food and Agriculture Initiative’s launch of their model tribal food and agriculture code.
U.S. Legislation Bulletin
The following were added:
- S.Res.707: A resolution commemorating the 40th Anniversary of the Indian Child Welfare Act of 1978.
- H.R.5317: To repeal section 2141 of the Revised Statutes to remove the prohibition on certain alcohol manufacturing on Indian lands.
- H.R.1074: To repeal the Act entitled “An Act to confer jurisdiction on the State of Iowa over offenses committed by or against Indians on the Sac and Fox Indian Reservation.”
- S.3752: A bill to require the transfer of certain land to be held in trust for the benefit of the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe of North and South Dakota, and for other purposes.
- S.3755: A bill to establish a demonstration program regarding background checks for certain employees of the Bureau of Indian Affairs.