Legal Aid of Nebraska, a law firm providing free civil legal services to low-income persons, seeks an attorney to serve Native American victims of domestic violence in Western Nebraska. Must be admitted to practice in Nebraska or have a Nebraska license pending, and be licensed or willing to become licensed in the Ponca, Winnebago, Omaha and Santee Tribal Courts. This position entails extensive travel throughout panhandle and Cherry counties.
Duties will include but will not be limited to:
- Provide assistance to members of the Omaha, Ponca, Santee, and Winnebago and to other Native Americans who are victims of domestic violence primarily residing in the panhandle and Cherry counties.
- Training law enforcement;
- Making community presentations;
- Conducting outreach to Native American victims of domestic violence;
- Developing culturally appropriate materials providing legal information and information about Legal Aid of Nebraska’s Native American Project and domestic violence;
- Fostering relationships with the Tribes, tribal members, domestic violence agencies and other service providers.
The attorney in this position also provides quality and aggressive representation of low-income Native American domestic violence victims who are clients of LAN primarily in state court, and, engages in the day-to-day practice of law according to the priorities and practices set by Legal Aid of Nebraska. Ideal candidate will possess expertise in the area of domestic violence and have a connection to Native American issues. This is a full-time position requiring a committed individual. Company cell phone and laptop will be provided. Location in Scottsbluff, Nebraska.
Legal Aid of Nebraska offers excellent supervision, training and support, and state-of-the-art technology. Loan assistance repayment may be available assuming eligibility for Legal Aid’s repayment program. Experience-based competitive salary. Excellent benefits package. Please send resume, references, writing sample, and cover letter via email to: Jonathan Seagrass, Managing Attorney of Legal Aid of Nebraska’s Native American Project, at email@example.com. EOE. Position open until filled.