The National Indian Law Library added new content to the Indian Law Bulletins on 3/20/19.
U.S. Supreme Court Bulletin
This case was decided on 3/19/19:
Washington State Department of Licensing v. Cougar Den (State Fuel Taxation)
Federal Courts Bulletin
Texas v. Alabama-Coushatta Tribe of Texas (Indian Gaming)
Knighton v. Cedarville Rancheria of Northern Paiute Indians (Jurisdiction)
Frank’s Landing Indian Community v. National Indian Gaming Commission (Gaming; Federal Recognition)
Cayuga Nation v. Bernhardt (Official Tribal Government)
Pueblo of Jemez v. United States of America (Aboriginal Title)
In the Economic Development section, we feature an article about a U.S. Supreme Court decision regarding state fuel taxation.
U.S. Legislation Bulletin
The following bills were added:
- S.804: A bill to amend the Marine Mammal Protection Act of 1972 to protect the cultural practices and livelihoods of producers of Alaska Native handicrafts and fossilized ivory products, and for other purposes.
- H.R.1688: To help provide relief to State education budgets during a recovery economy, to help fulfill the Federal mandate to provide higher educational opportunities for Native American Indians, and for other purposes.
- S.832: To nullify the Supplemental Treaty Between the United States of American the Confederated Tribes and Bands of Indians of Middle Oregon, concluded on November 15, 1865.
- S.790: A bill to clarify certain provisions of Public Law 103-116, the Catawba Indian Tribe of South Carolina Land Claims Settlement Act of 1993, and for other purposes.
- S.739: A bill to protect the voting rights of Native American and Alaska Native voters.