The National Indian Law Library added new content to the Indian Law Bulletins on 4/18/19.
U.S. Supreme Court Bulletin
Petition for certiorari was filed in this case on 4/10/19:
Allergan, Inc. v. Teva Pharmaceuticals USA, Inc. (Patents)
Federal Courts Bulletin
United States v. Jones (Sentencing)
Cain v. Salish Kootenai College, Inc. (Tribal Colleges – Arm-of-the-Tribe)
Yselta Del Sur Pueblo v. City of El Paso (Tribal Real Property)
State Courts Bulletin
Mitchell v. Preston (Indian Child Welfare Act – Transfer to Tribal Court)
In Re.: A.G. A Minor Child (Indian Child Welfare Act – Transfer to Tribal Court)
Law Review & Bar Journal Bulletin (contact us if you need help finding a copy of an article)
- The transformation of the Antiquities Act: A call for amending the President’s power regarding national monument designations.
- Lobbying against the odds.
- An “SDVCJ Fix” — Paths forward in tribal domestic violence jurisdiction.
- Shooting down Oliphant: Self-defense as an answer to crime in Indian Country.
- Indian children and the Fifth Amendment.
- Congressional plenary power and Indigenous environmental stewardship: The limits of environmental federalism.
- Tribal utility development energy development and services on tribal land.
- Protecting all women: Tribal protection orders and required enforcement under VAWA.
In the Land & Water section, we feature articles about consideration from Congress on tribal water rights issues.
U.S. Legislation Bulletin
The following bills were added:
- S.1161: A bill to support the education of Indian children.
- S.1216: A bill to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to permanently extend the depreciation rules for property used predominantly within an Indian reservation.
- S.1180: A bill to extend the full Federal medical assistance percentage to urban Indian organizations.
- S.1181: A bill to amend the Child Abuse Prevention and Treatment Act to provide for better protections for children raised in kinship families outside of the foster care system.
- S.1211: A bill to provide for improvements to Tribal transportation facilities and Tribal transportation safety, and for other purposes.
- S.1207: A bill to approve the settlement of the water rights claims of the Navajo Nation in Utah, and for other purposes.
- S.1001: A bill to amend the Indian Health Care Improvement Act to allow the Indian Health Service to cover the cost of a copayment of and Indian or Alaska Native veteran receiving medical care or services from the Department of Veterans Affairs, and for other purposes.
- H.Res.361: Promoting minority health awareness and supporting the goals and ideals of National Minority Health Month in April 2019, which include bringing attention to the health disparities faced by minority populations of the United States such as American Indians, Alaska Natives, Asian Americans, African Americans, Hispanics, and Native Hawaiians or other Pacific Islanders.