The Indigenous Law & Policy Center at Michigan State University College of Law is hiring a Communications Coordinator. A description of the position is below, and the MSU HR link is here. The deadline for applying is May 3, 2022.
Work type: Support Staff
Pay Grade: 10
Major Administrative Unit / College: Michigan State University College Of Law
Department: Juris Doctorate Programs 40001138
Sub Area: AP- Professionals
Salary: Salary Commensurate with Experience
Location: East Lansing
Categories: Administrative/Business/Professional, Administrative Professionals- AP, Full Time (90-100%), Union, Remote-Friendly
The College of Law Indigenous Law & Policy Center (ILPC) welcomes candidates who have a passion for working in indigenous rights advocacy; experience working with indigenous peoples and diverse groups of people; strong communication and organizational skills; and exhibit a high degree of professionalism and the ability to work in a self-directed environment or in a group setting.
The Indigenous Law & Policy Center Communications Coordinator supports the ILPC by assisting with developing website content, electronic newsletters, visual aids, social media posts, and other organizational communications aligned with the ILPC’s needs and strategic initiatives. The Communications Coordinator also maintains the ILPC office and assists ILPC faculty and staff in coordinating events, conferences, and student programming.
The ILPC welcomes candidates who (1) have a passion for working in indigenous rights advocacy; (2) have experience working with indigenous peoples and diverse groups of people; (3) have strong communication and organizational skills; and (4) exhibit a high degree of professionalism and the ability to work in both a self-directed environment and in a group setting.
The ILPC currently includes a Director, Associate Director, Clinic Director, and Legal Counselor. The Center works very closely together to recruit students; provide services to students, clinical clients, and tribal governments; provide teaching and learning opportunities related to Indigenous law; produce original research and scholarship on Indigenous law; and host events at the law school.
The Communications Coordinator reports to the Director and Associate Director of the ILPC and assists the ILPC team in providing administrative support. In collaboration with the College of Law Director of Events and the Director of Communications and Marketing, the Communications Coordinator:
• Assists the ILPC faculty and staff with planning and coordinating all ILPC events.
• Coordinates lunches, speaking events, and ILPC visits for students interested in Indian Law.
• Plans and organizes the annual ILPC conference.
• Manages marketing materials that amplify and strengthen ILPC presence at MSU, Michigan tribal communities, and within Indian country.
• Drafts ILPC correspondence and creates newsletters for the ILPC community, students, and alumni.
• Manages the ILPC social media accounts, including Turtle Talk.
• Attends Indian law events and conferences 1-4 times per year to promote the ILPC and its objectives; requires overnight travel.
Unit Specific Education/Experience/Skills
Knowledge equivalent to that which normally would be acquired by completing a four-year college degree program in Communications, Telecommunications, Journalism, Marketing, or Public Relations; up to six months of related and progressively more responsible or expansive work experience in internal communications; news, broadcasting, and print media, and/or marketing, advertising, and creative services; graphic design; word processing; desktop publishing; web design; presentation software; spreadsheet and/or database software; public presentation; or radio production; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Experience working with Native American and Indigenous communities.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Experience in event planning and logistics for on-campus events.
• Ability to work with a variety of individuals.
• Experience using WordPress and social media platforms.
• Ability to multitask.
• Experience using programs like InDesign and Photoshop.
• Experience in Communications, Development, Marketing, or related fields.
• Experience working in a university environment.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or protected veteran status.
The university is requiring all MSU students, faculty and staff to be vaccinated against COVID-19 with limited exceptions. Learn more at: https://msu.edu/together-we-will/
- Cover Letter
- Three Professional References
Remote Work Statement
MSU strives to provide a flexible work environment and this position has been designated as remote-friendly. Remote-friendly means some or all of the duties can be performed remotely as mutually agreed upon.
Bidding Eligibility ends on April 26, 2022 at 11:55 PM
Advertised: Apr 20, 2022 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: May 3, 2022 Eastern Daylight Time