|We have scoured the web. Here are some of the latest materials related to Indian Law. Find all of the latest updates at narf.org/nill/bulletins/
U.S. Supreme Court Bulletin
One case was decided on 7/9/20:
McGirt v. Oklahoma (Criminal Jurisdiction)
Federal Courts Bulletin
- Williams v. Medley Opportunity Fund II, LP (Tribal Sovereign Lending)
- Crow Indian Tribe v. United States (Endangered Species Act; Yellowstone Grizzlies)
- Dossett v. Ho-Chunk, Inc. (Sovereign Immunity)
- Shopbell v. Washington State Department of Fish and Wildlife (Treaty Rights)
- Grondal v. Mill Bay Members Association, Inc. (Indian Allotment)
- Poarch Band of Creek Indians v. Amneal Pharmaceuticals, LLC (Opioid Manufacturing)
U.S. Legislation – 116th Congress Bulletin
- H.R.7557 – To amend title VI of the Social Security Act to extend the coverage of Coronavirus Relief Fund payments to Tribal Governments.
- H.R.7565 – To authorize the Seminole Tribe of Florida to lease or transfer certain land, and for other purposes.
Law Review & Bar Journal Bulletin (contact us if you need help finding a copy of an article)
- Chipping away at the public trust doctrine: Mauna Kea and the degradation principle.
- When the Navajo Generating Station closes, where does the water go?
- An odd way to read a preemption statute: The Atomic Energy Act, Virginia Uranium, and the Diné Natural Resource Protection Act.
- Redefining tribal sovereignty for the era of fundamental rights.
- “You’re in apple land but you are a lemon”: Connection, collaboration, and division in early ’70s Indian Country.
- Herrera v. Wyoming: The Supreme Court’s most recent attempt to balance tribal rights, state power, and conservation efforts.
This week, in brief:
- Court blocks Montana law that restricts voting rights of Native Americans
- The McGirt case is a historic win for tribes
- Q&A: What does McGirt ruling mean?
- How the ‘only family’ argument is used against Indigenous families
- Black Lives Matter for Freedman Descendants of the Five Civilized Tribes
- Pandemic complicates tribes’ quest for data sovereignty
- Indigenous groups launch first national $1 million direct cash program for Native Americans during COVID-19 pandemic
- State Supreme Court vacates racist 1916 ruling in Yakama fishing rights case
- Ninth Circuit rules to restore protections for Yellowstone grizzlies