TRIBAL COUNCIL SEEKS LETTERS OF INTEREST TO SERVE ON THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS OF WASÉYABEK DEVELOPMENT COMPANY, LLC.
The Tribal Council is soliciting letters of interest and statements of qualifications from NHBP Tribal Members and other qualified persons interested in being appointed to fill a vacant position on the Board of Directors of Waséyabek Development Company.
Waséyabek Development Company was created in May 2011 as a limited liability company, wholly-owned by the Nottawaseppi Huron Band, which is organized under the NHBP Limited Liability Code. Waséyabek Development Company will serve as the vehicle through which business diversification strategies by the Tribal government will be planned and managed.
There are two (2) positions on the Board with approximate four (4) year terms of office commencing July 1, 2016 and ending June 30, 2020.
MISSION AND PURPOSE OF WASEYABEK DEVELOPMENT COMPANY/ROLE OF BOARD OF DIRECTORS
As stated in its Articles of Organization and Operating Agreement, the mission and purpose of Waséyabek Development Company is to:
- Create and stimulate the economy of the Band;
- Generate profits to promote the growth and continuity of Waséyabek Development Company by investing in profitable companies, acquiring profitable companies and, when appropriate, developing new “start-up” companies for the purpose of:
- Providing distributions of profits to the Tribal Government to fund essential government services and programs; and
- Creating employment opportunities for Tribal members.
The day-to-day business activities of Waséyabek Development Company will be managed by a Chief Executive Officer hired by Waséyabek and by the individual business managers hired for specific businesses authorized. During FY 2016, the Board of Directors will be continuing work to develop key strategic and organizational documents for the Company, including business development and investment criteria, financial management and reporting structures/procedures, compensation plans and personnel policies for enterprise employees, and other organizational documents.
The Board will oversee the hiring of a Chief Executive Officer and other business/financial consultants to be retained by Waséyabek to develop overall business plans, investment criteria and strategies for the Nottawaseppi Huron Band to further the mission and purposes of the Company. Funding for the activities of Waséyabek Development Company will come from appropriations approved by the Tribal Council, the amount of which will be guided by Revenue Allocation Plan.
The Waséyabek Board of Directors will be responsible for maintaining regular reporting and accountability to both the Tribal Council and the Membership at large through the development of appropriate financial reporting and other communication procedures.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS FOR APPOINTMENT
In accordance with the Operating Agreement for Waséyabek Development Company, at least one of the vacant Board position must be filled by a person who is an enrolled member of NHBP or other person entitled to preference (spouses/parents of NHBP Members or other Native Americans) under the NHBP Indian Preference in Employment Code. It is the Tribal Council’s desire to fill this position with a qualified person who is an enrolled member of NHBP.
All persons appointed to Board must possess the following qualifications (as verified by an extensive background investigation and interview) to be considered for appointment.
- Must be at least twenty-five (25) years of age; and
- Possess a high school diploma or a General Equivalency Diploma; and
- Have either:
- A minimum of ten (10) years successful work experience in management, business administration, public administration or law; or
- A minimum of five (5) years work experience in management, business administration, public administration or law and a bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or business administration,
provided, however, that not less than one (1) Board members shall be a financial professional (i.e. Certified Public Accountant, Financial Analyst or Management Accountant) or experience as business operations (i.e. CEO, COO, General Manager); and
- Have demonstrated working knowledge of Tribal economic development strategies, including knowledge of Tribal sovereignty as it relates business development strategies; and
- Have demonstrated history of personal and professional integrity, financial responsibility, and honesty and adherence to high ethical standards; and
- Have the ability and willingness to provide detailed personal financial information to the Small Business Administration (for 8(a) Certification) and other agencies necessary to obtaining various business certifications; and
- Have a willingness to commit to understand the Company, its Annual Strategic and Operating Plans, investment goals and strategies;
- The ability to attend Board meetings and meetings of the Tribal Council and General Membership meetings on the Pine Creek Indian Reservation when needed; and
- Have the ability and willingness to provide detailed personal and financial information and submit to extensive background investigation and interview; and
- Must not, within the preceding ten (10) years, have been convicted of, or pled guilty or no contest to, any crime involving theft or fraud, any crime involving violence against persons, including sex offenses, or any felony or other crime punishable by a prison term of one (1) year or longer.
Persons who are proven subject matter experts in business who have understanding and demonstrated high-level (management) understanding and experience managing business operations and/or the financial or marketing initiatives associated with growing businesses are preferred. Persons with such experience in technology (including hospitality support), energy, manufacturing and/or construction industries are especially encouraged to apply.
TERM OF OFFICE/COMPENSATION
Term: The individuals appointed with serve a four (4) year term of office (July 1, 2016-June 30, 2020).
Compensation: Members of the Board of Directors will receive a monthly stipend of $2,000 for attendance at meetings and participation in conference calls/planning activities to be undertaken by the Board. Board Members will also be eligible for reimbursement of travel and other expenses incurred in furtherance of Company activities in accordance with a Budget to be developed for Waséyabek Development Company.
STATEMENTS OF INTEREST/RESUMES SHOULD BE SENT TO THE FOLLOWING ADDRESS NO LATER THAN MARCH 31, 2016:
NHBP TRIBAL COUNCIL
ATTN: WASÉYABEK DEVELOPMENT COMPANY BOARD OF DIRECTORS
1485 MNO-BMADZEWEN WAY
FULTON, MI 49052
You must be logged in to post a comment.